Thursday, February 2, 2012

To Veil or Not to Veil

Feminism! Women want equality! Women want freedom! Women want power!

Women have won the battle, but at what cost?

Families have broken down, women have lost their true identities, women have given into media and fashion and sexual ideas. Feminism has failed.

The Blessed Mother was a modest, Godly, submissive woman...but to think of her, I see nothing about her that says "I am weak...I can't think for myself...I'm unhappy with my life." If anything, I see a strong, loving, powerful woman! She didn't need to unveil her head to feel more of a woman. She didn't need to go out and get a job! (she had the most important job in the entire world! Raising Jesus!) She didn't need to wear skimpy clothes to be beautiful! She was ALL woman!

While delving deeper into my Faith, the more I feel the tug to be more submissive. Submissive to God, submissive to my husband and my duties as a wife and mother. Why should a woman feel embarrassed to cover her head in submission? Why should a woman feel embarrassed to go to Holy Mass wearing a veil? Here is what the Bible says about Veiling...


Christian veiling is a very serious matter, one that concerns two millennia of Church Tradition -- which extends back to Old Testament tradition and to New Testament admonitions. St. Paul wrote.
1 Corinthians 11:1-17:
Be ye followers of me, as I also am of Christ. Now I praise you, brethren, that in all things you are mindful of me and keep my ordinances as I have delivered them to you. But I would have you know that the head of every man is Christ: and the head of the woman is the man: and the head of Christ is God. Every man praying or prophesying with his head covered disgraceth his head. But every woman praying or prophesying with her head not covered disgraceth her head: for it is all one as if she were shaven. For if a woman be not covered, let her be shorn. But if it be a shame to a woman to be shorn or made bald, let her cover her head. The man indeed ought not to cover his head: because he is the image and glory of God. But the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man [c.f. Genesis 2-3]. For the man was not created for the woman: but the woman for the man. Therefore ought the woman to have a power over her head, because of the angels. But yet neither is the man without the woman, nor the woman without the man, in the Lord. For as the woman is of the man, so also is the man by the woman: but all things of God. You yourselves judge. Doth it become a woman to pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you that a man indeed, if he nourish his hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman nourish her hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her for a covering. But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor the Church of God [i.e., if anyone want to complain about this, we have no other way of doing things, this is our practice; all the churches believe the same way]. Now this I ordain: not praising you, that you come together, not for the better, but for the worse.

By surrendering our glory to the headship of our husbands and to God, we surrender to them in the same way that the Blessed Virgin surrendered herself to the Holy Ghost ("Be it done to me according to Thy will!"); the veil is a sign as powerful -- and beautiful

This one superficially small act is:  
  • so rich with symbolism: of submission to authority; of surrender to God; of the imitation of Our Lady as a woman who uttered her "fiat!"; of covering our glory for His glory; of modesty; of chastity, of our being vessels of life like the Chalice, the Ciborium and, most especially, Our Lady;
  • an Apostolic ordinance -- with roots deep in the Old Testament -- and, therefore, a matter of intrinsic Tradition;
  • the way Catholic women have worshipped for two millennia (i.e., even if it weren't a matter of Sacred Tradition in the intrinsic sense, it is, at the least, a matter of ecclesiastical tradition, which also must be upheld). It is our heritage, a part of Catholic culture;
  • pragmatic: it leaves one free to worry less about "bad hair days";
  • and for the rebels out there, it is counter-cultural nowadays, you must admit!
The question I'd like answered is, "Why would any Catholic woman not want to veil herself?"


I, personally, plan to happily wear my Veil! I am not too proud to show the world that I am submissive to God.  I am also not too proud to show the world that I am submissive to my husband, which is how it should be. This doesn't mean I can't think for myself. This doesn't mean I can't enjoy life to it's fullest! I want my femininity back! Men and women are NOT equal, and shouldn't be. Each has different roles in life and once women realize their proper role, the world will be a better place. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment